In the spring, the Human Rights Institute accepts applications for its supported internships with premier domestic and international human rights organizations. After a rigorous application process, students selected to participate in each of these opportunities are granted substantial financial support from the Human Rights Institute.
The Human Rights Institute has developed relationships with the following internship placements. Each of these organizations has agreed to accept a UConn Human Rights student each summer as an intern.
- Amnesty International USA
- Business and Human Rights Resource Center
- The Center for Justice and International Law
- The Education Project
- The Scholars at Risk Network
- OutRight Action International
- **Individualized Internship Placement**
To be considered for a fellowship for the Spring 2021 competition, the deadline for applications is Monday March 1, 2021.
**One student will be awarded a fellowship to complete an internship at an organization of their choosing. The deadline for applications for the individualized placement opportunity is April 9, 2021.**
Eligibility Criteria: Eligibility criteria varies by placement, see individual placement pages above for criteria.
Required Application Materials
- Personal Statement: Your personal statement should include information on your interest in and experience with human rights, as well as a statement regarding how the fellowship award will assist you in developing your personal and career goals. Your statement should not exceed 1,000 words.
- Cover Letter: You should submit a separate, individualized cover letter for each internship placement opportunity you are applying for. Your cover letter should concisely articulate how working for a specific organization will assist you in advancing professionally. Why are your professional interests, skills, and ambitions compatible with the work done by this organization? Your cover letter should not exceed 500 words.
- Anticipated Budget: The purpose of the budget is to demonstrate you have considered the costs associated with your internship. The budget description should provide a complete financial and qualitative description that supports the requested funds. Please download and use the Anticipated Budget template, available HERE.
- Letter of Recommendation: Please have one letter of recommendation written on your behalf from an instructor or mentor who has known you for at least one year. Please forward this link to your recommender for them to submit your letter electronically: https://uconntact.uconn.edu/submitter/form/start/446629
- Unofficial Transcript: Please enclose an unofficial copy of your University of Connecticut academic transcript.
- Resume: Please enclose a resume that includes current and previous employment, including military experience, part‐time work, and summer or other temporary positions. Your resume should also list your involvement in extracurricular activities, such as organizations, clubs, sports, and campaigns, while attending the University of Connecticut.
You should submit your application via our online portal at: https://uconntact.uconn.edu/submitter/form/start/446630.
**Please use the following link to apply for the Individualized Internship Placement: https://uconntact.uconn.edu/submitter/form/start/446628.
If you are applying for multiple internships, you should submit a separate, individualized cover letter for each organization you are interested in interning with.
To maximize the likelihood of being selected as a Human Rights Internship Fellow, we recommend that all applicants schedule an appointment with the Center for Career Development to have their resumes and cover letters critiqued.
Applications will be reviewed by the Fellowship Committee. The Fellowship Committee will also conduct any necessary interviews with finalists. Once finalists have been selected, the candidate files will be sent to the internship placement site for review and approval. The internship site makes the final decision to extend an offer.
Fellowship Application Deadline: March 1, 2021
Individualized Internship Application Deadline: April 9, 2021
For questions or inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (860) 486‐8739.