Internship Fellow Spotlight: Ariana Scurti

BY raj03005

HRI Summer Internship Fellow, Ariana Scurti, tells us about her internship experience at Social Accountability International in NYC.

Hi, my name is Ariana Scurti, a recent UConn grad who double majored in International Relations (with a focus on Human Rights and Development) and Spanish. This summer I am interning at Social Accountability International (SAI) in New York City. SAI is an international nonprofit that created and owns the SA8000 standard, a voluntary standard for companies that focuses on living wage, workers’ rights, workplace conditions and management systems. They also conduct auditor trainings, partner with brands such as Walmart, and work with other standard-setting organizations to ensure human rights protections in organizations.

Social Accountability International is located a couple blocks over from Times Square, a location bustling with commuters, workers, tourists, and so much more. Every morning and afternoon, I am reminded of the millions of cultures and backgrounds in New York City. In this interconnected work, sustainability in business and corporate social responsibility are more important than ever, as human rights advocates and organizations like SAI fight for a living wage and worker protections for all.

This is our New York City office. We have field staff all over the world and a staff of 20 or so at headquarters here in New York. I work with three other interns, Deb (pictured above), Anna (another UConn Husky!), and Madelena. We work individually and as a group on projects that focus on marketing, communications, analysis, and more.

I am currently working on a special project for a corporate partner where I am translating, organizing, and analyzing field data from Latin America. On another project, I am analyzing documents from ISEAL, an organization co-founded by SAI and comprised of multi-stakeholder sustainability standards and accreditation bodies such as Rainforest Alliance, GoodWeave, and Fairtrade International.

For lunch and free time after work, my fellow interns and I eat at beautiful Bryant Park or on the steps of the main branch of the New York Public Library. There are always activities at the park and library, such as dancing lessons, Broadway performances, movies on the lawn, a showing of the Declaration of Independence, and so much more. It has been incredibly rewarding thus far to take in and learn about all that SAI and NYC has to offer.

Thanks for taking a look into my internship! I look forward to continuing my work on the projects, exploring NYC, and learning all that I can this summer at Social Accountability International.

Learn more about our Summer Internship Fellows program on our website, http://humanrights.uconn.edu/internships/